A strong portfolio of work is an essential part of landing into a job in computer animation. Numerous job opportunities are available in India as well as abroad in the exciting field of animation. Specialized computer knowledge and skills are essential for various jobs in the field of animation.
It is a booming industry with wide job openings and one can work on full length animation movies or any other related fields like television, advertising industry etc. An Animated feature film, which offers considerable employment prospects, is a combined talented effort of a wide variety of artists. A typical animation film requires around 500 animators. Some of the jobs offered in the industry are:
1. Modeler – Modeler is the one who makes the models for animation. They should have a solid understanding of anatomy, form and volume.
2. Story Broad Artist – Those with strong drawing skills could be hired as storyboard artists who can visualize a sequence of events from frame to frame.
3. Character animator – They bring characters to life and generally have knowledge of traditional animation, stop-motion animation as well as Claymation.
4. Background artist – The background artist is the person who specializes to paint the background of the characters and sets the background for the project.
5. Layout artist – layout artist is just like a cinematographer of that animation project as they are decides the lighting and camera angles and he is sketching the background design for the animation.
6. 2D animator – They involves the creation of a high volume of separate drawings that define a sequence.
7. In-between animator – In between animator one can learn all the basics of animation and it is the beginning position of an animator.
8. Scanner operator – The scanner operator does the scanning of the clean up artist’s drawings.
9. Compositing artist – Compositing consists of layering individual frames of animation on top of one another to create final images. These images are then strung together to create complete shots or mini animated movies.
10. Special effects artist – They integrate live-action footage with Computer Generated Imagery (CGI) or other elements (such as model work)
11. Audio and video specialist
12. Texture artist – They applies a surface to the 3D modeled character, object or environment.
13. Rigging artist – A rigging artist takes the modeled, textured 3D character or object and sets it up with a skeletal system or joints (if required). Without this step, the 3D model would not be able to animate, talk or move fluidly and correctly.
Clean-up artist, Lighting artist, Compositor, Key frame animator, Rendering artist, 3D animator, Image Editor, etc. are a few other roles you can get in the animation industry.
Website designing, CD-ROM production, graphics designing and three-dimensional product modeling are some other fields where animators can gain employment. Though entertainment through film and television is the main area of application in this profession, animation is also needed in other areas like business, sales, engineering, education, and advertising.
It has chances in fashion designing and interior designing and even in medical, legal, and insurance companies for their presentations and models. The gaming industry that includes video and mobile games is looking forward for good animators. Animators could even find jobs at print media and publishing firms. Free lance work is another option for animators, particularly those specializing in web animation.
India has over 300 animation studios employing over 12,000 animation professionals. Besides this, Indian companies are creating a number of animated films and cartoons for US and European studios. There fore the chances for good creative animators never ends.